Monday, February 25, 2013

Almond butter cups


Okay, I know I've seen several "peanut butter cups" online.  All of which look great, but I never got them to turn out right.  Or they weren't paleo friendly.  Mostly because I am probably lazy and don't take the time to make them correctly?  Or I never have those cupcake liners.  I think it's just that my chocolate was always the wrong consistency.  Whatever.  Either way, the two times I tried to make them cute, I'd end up with a huge dollup of chocolate on the bottom and the sticky almond butter too thick, and then no tops so to speak for them.  I tried something different this time.

2/3 C cocoa powder
1/3 C coconut oil, melted
4 TBSP honey (or maple syrup)
This is my base recipe for any chocolate I make.  Depending on the sweetener/more or less oil you use, you can make it really runny or really thick.  I needed it more on the thin side this time so I used a bit more oil.

Mix til smooth and tasty, adjust your sweet the way you like it.

I poured my chocolate (which was really runny!) into a greasy pie pan just enough to cover the whole pan.

Then I dolluped about 1/4 - 1/2 C of almond butter (this kind was crunchy!) into several spoonfuls to try to cover as much of the chocolate as I could.  I flattened it out a little where I could and then poured the remainder of my chocolate liquid on top to cover the almond butter.

This worked out so much easier than trying to stuff individual cupcake cups.  I'm sure it's not as cute of a presentation, but still.  Stick it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to harden and then cut into squares.

My end result ended up looking like this:

It tasted like YUM.
Maybe I will call them Breeze's Almond Butter Squares: the "reeses" for lazy ladies everywhere!

Here  is a pretty easy recipe too.   I tend to buy the chocolate in pure powder form, so I can make a variety of things and not have to melt it.  I've also become a  stickler for whats in my chocolate so I have avoided any with sweeteners.  Yes, my semi sweet dark chocolate chips are on standby til I can find some without cane sugar or yucky oil.  You not paleo, or semi-paleo will like this recipe too, but when its as easy as 3 ingredients to make your own sweet chocolate, why bother?


No comments:

Post a Comment